Sirens & Starlight wants to give back. We have created these special bags in honor of the “Go Gold and Give” motto. With the purchase of each bag a donation will be made to the American Childhood Cancer Organization. They’re a wonderful organization that is there to help support, educate and advocate for children battling cancer and their families.
Each bag has silver hardware except for the zippers which are all gold. Your other straps and bag gear will still match but the pop of gold symbolizes your support of “Go Gold” for children battling cancer.
Childhood cancer is the #1 disease-related cause of death for children in the United States and many other countries. For those who survive, two-thirds will also endure chronic health conditions from the toxic side effects of cancer treatment, including secondary cancers and other life-threatening illnesses.
You can find out more information from their website.
With the purchase of each bag, over 25% of the profit will be donated to the ACCO. You will also receive a Gold Ribbon pin in one of 3 designs, these are selected at random. You can add this pin to your bag to show your support for a worthy cause.
The ACCO created this website just for this special Sirens & Starlight fundraiser. Even if you don’t buy a bag, you are welcome to donate to a cause with heart. Please use the link below to contribute. We will be adding the proceeds from the Go Gold Bag Campaign as well.
Each Purchase includes:
• Large Convertible Day Bag
18”w x 13”h x 6”d
• Matching Leather Backpack Straps
• Matching Leather Shoulder/Crossbody Strap
• Gold Ribbon ACCO “Go Gold” pin. Which style you receive will be randomly chosen.
• Full Grain Leather
• Silver Tone Hardware
• Plastic Gold Zippers with Gold Ribbon Metal Pulls
• Vintage Handwoven Huipil or Handwoven Artisan Stripe
• Double Inner Slip Pocket perfect for your phone and keys
• Inner zippered Pocket
• Outer zippered Pocket
• Front Pocket
• Large Side Pockets
• Handwoven Corte Cotton Lining
Each bag can be worn several ways. Longer shoulder straps let you carry it on your arm of over your shoulder, an adjustable leather Crossbody or shoulder strap and a pair of leather shoulder straps. All can be taken on and off to use as works best for you with total versatility.
These convertible day bags are all handmade in Guatemala. They were made by a very small female led family collective in the Chichicastenango region. In this family they have learned for generations how to make these huipils and have passed the traditions down. They are made from vintage huipils. Huipils are the handwoven shirts worn as part of the traditional Traje, Mayan traditional clothing. The huipils are woven on backstrap looms and can take up to 1-4 months for a woman to complete her one huipil. These textiles are worn as part of her daily clothes and eventually sold at a fair trade price to be handmade by the collective into new products. The Faja straps are made from the vintage traditional belts worn by the Mayan women that they have woven and hand embroidered. Each belt and huipil is one of a kind. You may find another similar but never identical. The bags are ethically made, ethically sourced fair trade bags that give back to the Guatemalan people and the community. It is our goal to support and contribute to the preservation of the indigenous environment and way of life.
The bags are gorgeous full grain leather and vintage textiles. There are imperfections and natural marks in the leather and wear to the textiles. Please note these are not flaws but part of the natural beauty of the materials. Loose threads sometimes happen. Simple poke them through the huipil to the back with a needle or snip them gently. Never pull the thread.
• Payment is pretty much a must. Sorry, there's really no way around it. ;) Currently we only accept PayPal, Credit Cards via Direct Checkout. We prefer PayPal. Through PayPal you can pay with a credit card, debit card or directly from your bank account. It's very easy to set up an account. If for any reason you need to pay via alternate method, please contact us and we will do our best to work something out with you.
Here's a handy link to help explain and set up a PayPal account:
• We will not ship or begin work on a custom project until payment has been received and cleared. That would be silly of us.
• We try to be as expeditious as possible in preparing your item for shipping. For that reason the cancellation window is very short. If you need to cancel your purchase please do so within one hour of placing your order. If the item has been shipped there is no way for us to cancel the order.
• If you are interested in purchasing a gift card specifically to be used at Sirens and Starlight, feel free to convo me! I'd be happy to create a custom listing for you and ship it right to your friend/family member/co-worker/etc's door.
• We know you're eager to get your goodies and we can't wait for you to start wearing them! We try to ship items as quickly as possible once we receive your cleared payment. We ship using the United States Postal Service. Most items arrive in 3-5 business days once shipped, but hey, it is the U.S. Mail. Currently, tracking numbers are provided when possible. Please check the estimated shipping time listed with each item. Some items may be available to ship faster than others.
• If you want your item even faster, please convo us before making your purchase and we can set up upgraded shipping at an additional charge.
• We do not offer insurance on purchases unless requested. If you would like to purchase shipping insurance for your order, just drop us a line and we will be happy to accommodate you.
• Sadly, we cannot be held responsible for lost or stolen packages. Mean people really do suck, as cliche as it is, but we simply can't afford to rectify their wrong doings. Sorry Charlie. :(
• International Shipping: we do ship internationally. Cost varies per location. Please contact us before checking out and we will provide a price quote. We do not cover any duties or customs fees. All duties and customs fees are solely the responsibility of the purchaser.
• Please note that while I do ship worldwide, I am not responsible for any customs fees or taxes your package may incur while on its way to you. International packages may take up to 4+ weeks for delivery- please give it time to get there! If your package has not arrived 5 weeks after shipping date, please let me know so we can determine the location and status of the package.•
Just contact me within: 5 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
All handbags and accessories sold by Sirens & Staright are made with repurposed vintage textiles, and the leather tanned in the sun not a commerical tannery. These pieced come imprerfect, and that is their perfection. Please know that each piece is handmade in local collectives and workshops so you will not get a factory created, mass produced piece. This is a handcrafted, one of a kind piece made by artisans. It will not be perfect. If you are not happy with your bag or accessory, please contact us to try and find a solution. We want you to be happy but all sales are final.
I want you to be as happy with each piece of Sirens & Starlight Jewelry and Accessories as I am. If you are not satisfied with your order, please contact me within 5 days of receiving your piece so I can confirm an exchange. All exchanges must be mailed back with tracking. In case of buyers remorse or incorrect shipping address on your part, I do not accept returns and can’t pay shipping charges on exchanges. Please note that I do not ship out the exchange item until all product has been received in return.
I absolutely stand behind my jewelry pieces and will repair items that may become damaged through normal, everyday use for the first 120 days. Please note that some gold filled and gold vermeil jewelry will wear over time and I cannot guarantee a lifetime finish to those pieces.
All merchandise must be returned in the exact condition in which it was shipped in order to receive a exchange. Shipping and handling charges are not refundable. The customer is responsible for return shipping.
*All sale merchandise is final sale. No returns or exchanges.
Please make your selections with care and carefully review all product information before making a purchase. Need help or have questions? Please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
UPON RECEIPT OF RETURNED GOODS, SIRENS & STARLIGHT RESERVES THE RIGHT TO DENY THE EXCHANGE IF IT DOES NOT MEET THE POLICY REQUIREMENTS.
What types of metals do you use?
I use mostly sterling silver, gold vermeil and 14k gold fill or solid gold. In the rare case of using brass or another metal, it will be noted very clearly in the description.
What is Sterling Silver?
Sterling silver is an alloy of silver containing 92.5% by mass of silver and 7.5% by mass of other metals. Sterling silver is a fine silver that is often great for sensitive skin.
What is Gold Vermeil?
Gold vermeil is gold plating, often 24k gold, over sterling silver.
What is Gold Filled?
Gold-filled jewelry, also known as "rolled gold" or "rolled gold plate" is composed of a solid layer of gold bonded with heat and pressure to a base metal. Amulette Jewelry is only made using gold filled metal that is 14k or higher. Gold filled jewelry can last through normal, everyday wear for a lifetime. However I do not suggest you wear your jewelry in the shower or pool.
Why gold filled instead of plated?
Gold filled wears like solid gold, and will never flake or chip (unlike gold plated jewelry).
Will my jewelry tarnish?
Yes, at some point it may tarnish. Thankfully my jewelry is easily polished using a jewelry cloth. Tarnishing may happen more quickly if jewelry is worn in the pool, shower, or while exercising.
What types of beads do you use?
I only use semiprecious or precious stone beads, as well as beads made of precious metals. I do not use glass imitations or Swarovski crystal. If you are curious about pieces replicated in another stone, please send me a message!
What of the handbag or accessory is handmade?
EVERYTHING! The whole thing! The bags are made from up-cycled huipils. The huipils are then hand washed and prepared to be cut for the bags. The leather is hand treated and cut. No machines are used other than a sewing machine.
How do I care for the fabric on my bag or accessory?
This is important! If you find any loose threads in your huipil, DON'T PULL THEM! Up-cycled vintage Maya clothing are used to make beautiful one-of-a-kind products. Many times you will find snags in the pattern. This is normal. Should your patterned huipil snag you can snip the loose threads with scissors. Do not pull them. You can do one of two things: 1) take a little pair of scissors and carefully trim the loose thread. Be very careful not to snip the rest of the fabric. 2) You can take a little fabric glue and dab down the loose thread so they don't continue to loosen or get caught on anything. If you use these techniques, you can ensure to prevent any more snagging or loose threads from fraying but be very careful when you do it!! Sirens & Starlight is not responsible in any way for any damage that may occur during your care and treatment of merchandise purchased from us. That includesbut is not limited to washing, drying and/or dry cleaning or leather cleaning.
Why does the leather have marks and irregularity to the color?
All of our bags are handmade using beautiful leather tanned and dyed in traditional methods in order to maintain its natural beauty and soft feel. Variations in color and texture are the prized characteristics of these methods. Over time, the leather will acquire a patina and may also darken due to the oils from your skin and direct sunlight, further enhancing the natural look and feel of your handbag. Please keep your bag away from prolonged intense sunlight, heat, and humidity. Please also note that dark denim or other dyed clothing items can rub off and stain tanned leathers. Exposure to water, liquid, oil, makeup, and permanent dyes like this can unfortunately leave permanent stains. These qualities are the nature of the bag and give your bag character and luster that mass-produced bags lack.
How do I care for the leather on my bag?
We make every effort to provide our customers with the best-handcrafted and high-quality bags. Please note that all our processes to make the bags are done by hand, from curing, cutting, and treating the leather to using up-cycled huipils. The bags have natural characteristics and qualities that should not be considered as flaws or as damage because they do not interfere with the functionality of the bag. Some people also like to use Scotch Gard Brand Protector on the fabric portion of their bag. Should you choose to, you may use a leather conditioner but many of our customers prefer to let the natural oils of their skin wear on the leather to get that buttery soft feel to them, we advise doing a test spot on the leather before applying a conditioner or treatment to the entire bag. Best advice for repairs is to use your local shoe makeer for any stitching repairs.
PLEASE NOTE: YOUR BAG IS NOT WATERPROOFED, the leather is tanned in the sun by artisans and not a commercial tannery with heavy chemical finishes. If you want to waterproof your leather there are many products available on the market to buy. Many do change and darked the color of the leather so use with caution. Sirens & Starlight will not accept any returns on products that have been treated in any way.
What is the difference in leather listed?
FULL GRAIN LEATHER
Full Grain leather tanned with high-grade oils and preservatives to keep it from being destroyed early by dryness and moisture. Full Grain Leather comes from the top layer of the hide which has ALL of the grain, therefore, FULL grain. The natural surface of full grain leather burnishes and beautifies with use. It is the best leather money can buy. This leather is expensive to buy and very difficult to work. You can expect scrapes and scars that are all natural. Where the cow had been scraped by barbed wire, bitten by a tick, or branded, the color sets in deep and stands out a bit. You'll be able to see the full grain running through the hide in the form of veins too. Your bag may have a few small scars and imperfections, which lend a tremendous amount of character.
TOP GRAIN LEATHER
Top Grain Leather is the second highest grade because it is split from the top layer of blemished hide then sanded and refinished. This is how they get rid of scars and scrapes.
Can't these be bought cheaper in South and Central America and even other websites?
Yes, they may be. Importing these bags is costly but that isn't really the most important thing. What the cost reflects is that these bags and accessories were ethically sourced and produced with fair trade ethics. There is no child labor or unfair labor processes, people are paid a fair and decent wage or price. Paying more to do the right thing for the people and environment is more important to me and my partners while creating a high quality piece.